Meeting Minutes - July 6, 2007
- Project enterprise decided
Electronic Departments Control System Group decides to work on this project: PZ.
Visit of Norbert Abel, KIP, June 13, 2007
- Within 4 hours we (easily) managed to install the KIP environment and get a μCLinux running on the Virtex4 ML403 evaluation board at GSI.
- Afterwards up-to-now all steps up to the configuration, the download of the bitstream file to the FPGA have been reproduced and partly understood and documented.
- A small preconfigured example application TestMemory is running on startup
- Still missing is the part of the compilation of the Kernel.
- Finish documentation of Visit of Norbert Abel, including:
- test application
- kernel compilation
- Learn how to accomplish the cross compilation of a simple "hello world" program to get it running on the FPGA
- How to include system specific (header) files
- compiler (gcc) options
- Install EPICS on the VMware system
- Build specific configure files for PPC/μCLinux on ML403/Virtex4 architecture for the EPICS built system
- Build EPICS for this architecture
- Build EPICS IOC
- Check semaphore/thread behaviour
The overall task is to get EPICS running on Virtex FPGA using KIPs environment, i.e.
- not to get Linux running
- not to care directly for thread/semaphore/POSIX compliance
- not to care in first place: is μCLinux outdated?
- Is μCLinux POSIX x compliant?
- What about Xilinx Ethernet MAC IP Core licensing models?
- Kernel version of μCLinux?
- Kernel versioning consistent with Linux?
- proposal (PZ):
- "hello world"
- Build EPICS for ML403
- Running IOC on ML403
- The above mentioned items of the ToDo List, should have been tagged/solved on the platform ML403 up to September/October 2007.
- From then on the SysCore Board should have been sufficiently (at least Ethernet and RS232) equipped and tested to allow to move away from ML403 to the SysCore architecture.
- 06 Jul 2007