Results of the CS Workshop 2009
Below is a photo of the workshop that was taken by our photographer, Gabriele Otto.
FPGA as Pattern Generator
- Presently, there are two versions of the software.
- We will take over the version from FalkZiegler.
- FalkZiegler will prepare his last version in May 2009.
- DietrichBeck will then take over the software from Falk.
- From that moment, the software will be maintained by KS/EE/GSI.
- A new version will be developed. This means:
- Slight changes of the sequencer of the trap control systems.
- Change in the layout of the pin assignment.
- The new version will be based on LabVIEW 8.2.1.
- It is planned that only this version will be used by all trap facilities.
Change of LabVIEW Version
We are now using LabVIEW version 8.2.1 since about two years. At some moment the support by NI, as an example for hardware drivers, becomes difficult since NI typically supports two versions backwards. HolgerBrand
think that CS
should switch to a new version within the next year.
- The next version being prepared by NI, "LabVIEW 2009", might have substantial changes behind the scenes. Thus,
- CS should switch to LabVIEW version 8.6.1. This was tested by Holger and looks straight forward.
- Several users of existing facilities think, that they will stick with LabVIEW 8.2.1 for quite some time.
- Some users of new facilities might start directly with CS based on LabVIEW 8.6.1.
- A final maintenance release of CS based on LabVIEW 8.2.1 is foreseen for summer 2009.
- A first release of CS based on LabVIEW 8.6.1 is foreseen for the second half of 2009. From that moment on, the main development and maintenance of CS will be restricted to the new LabVIEW version.
Feedback from Users
- HolgerBrand and DietrichBeck receive only little feedback from the users. Is this good or bad?
- StefanGoette states that there is little feedback because existing users are happy.
- 02 Mar 2009