Linux at GSI
We are currently migrating all machines from NIS to LDAP/Kerberos.
If you have problems to log in, please follow the instructions here: Kerberos
- The HPC Department announces operational issues over the GSI-LINUX-ALL mailing list! All owners of a LinuxAccount are automatically subscribed to that list.
- If you have questions concerning user accounts please contact the User Help Desk (☎ 2515).
We are running Debian GNU/Linux
, primarily release 7 (Wheezy
) at the moment. For further information on our road-map take a look at the ReleasePlan
. Refer to the list of Debian books
for a general overview.
- Access to the HPC infrastructure using interactive machines (see table in InteractiveMachines) is explained in
Where to continue?
- MachineTypes -- What is the meaning of these
lx... names anyway?
- FileSystems -- Where to find home-directories of other users, application software, simulation and analysis data? (LustreFs, CvmFs)
Beforehand you may want to browse TipsTricks
, as well as read the "how to" documentation further down.
In case of operational issues open a trouble ticket by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trouble-tickets should contain the following information:
- Your Linux user account name.
- The name of the computer you are using.
- The error message you receive.
- Possibly the command-line your are executing in a shell.
If you are referring to jobs on one of the HPC computing clusters:
- The job-identification number (JOBID).
- The path to your job wrapper script and/or the commands used to submit your jobs.
- The path to your application (binary), and to input and output data.
- Log-files and/or core dumps of crashed jobs.
- A reproducible example if possible.