Using GSIs ejabberd service with Pidgin
is an instant messaging client that supports various instant messaging protocols such as Jabber, ICQ, IRC, and MSN messenger.
On Wikipedia you can find a list of all supported protocols
If you would like to use the GSI internal Jabber service you need to follow these steps:
- Download the server certificate for messaging.gsi.de.
- Open the certificate import dialogue by opening Pidgin and in the Buddy List window, clicking on »Tools« - »Certificates«. A window similar to the following should appear:
- Import the downloaded certificate by clicking on »Add«. Then choose the downloaded .pem-File and specify messaging.gsi.de as the host name for the certificate:
- Create a GSI Jabber account, e.g. using PSI.
- In the Pidgin Buddy List menu, choose »Accounts« - »Manage Accounts«.
- Click the button »Add«.
- In the following window, configure the tabs »Basic« and »Advanced« as shown in the following screenshots:
INFO If you do not already have a Jabber account, you need to register a new one by checking the field "Create this new account on the server". For the account name enter your Linux username.
You will need to enter your account name in the respective field, which most of the time should be your GSI Linux account name, and your password.
- Make sure you activated the checkmark of your GSI Jabber account in the »Manage Accounts« window.
- 14 Jun 2010